Sunday, October 17, 2021

Bare Metal & ESXi Question

Hey guys, got a few questions that I'm asking the guru's here in this sub. For one, I'm still learning Virtualization (which is pretty fucking cool) and working with physical networking hardware.

We recently bought a bare metal - Supermicro to be exact. I won't get into the specs etc, but it does include 8 copper NIC's, and 2 SFP+ ports. I installed ESXi on this machine (which works perfect) but still learning the ends and outs of it. My question is (dumb question):

  • Am I able to utilize those NIC's as if they're acting as a switch to assign LAN IP's?

I don't want the server(SuperMicro) acting as the DHCP server, as we have an L7 server north of this bare metal controlling the VLAN tagging, DHCP, firewall, NAT etc.. We have these machines (L7 server & Bare Metal) located at a colocation rack, and instead of me implementing a whole switch in that cabinet - I figured I could use one of those copper ports in the back of the bare metal to act as a bridge for connecting other devices such as:

  • IPMI
  • PDU Monitoring

What I'm getting at here is, we currently have 4 devices stored in the cabinet, and I want to alleviate the switch (12 port) as that's where everything (IPMI, PDU, Bare Metal for VM Machines) is hooking up to.

I'm sure this is possible, but I feel like I'm overthinking this. I do have Ruckus' Virtual SmartZone & Data Plane instances installed on this machine, and functioning correctly under the management IP, and I did dedicated a port for that instance.

Any ideas?



No comments:

Post a Comment