Sunday, December 1, 2019

Meraki InterVLAN multicast routing

I know, you've already sighed!

We have a pretty complex network that I inherited, that is almost entirely Meraki. It works. We are a very large event center with several remote offices as well, so have a shitload of VLANs for everything from ticketing, surveillance, A/V, VoiP, along with our corporate needs, blah blah, you get it.

Core switches are MS-425, Distribution are MS-350, and access layer a mix of MS350 and MS320.

We want to do some inter-VLAN multicast routing. Our centralized lighting control system runs on VLAN2. Sends to a several of multicast groups on port 5568. Lovely. I just need to get that traffic to several other VLANs. Say 239.255.0.1 > 239.255.0.5 to VLAN 3, and 239.255.0.6 > 239.255.0.10 to VLAN 4. Seems simple enough. Setup VLAN2 and VLAN3 on the core with interfaces, set an RP, and it should work. Once traffic is flowing, ACL it out and should be done. Not really. Unicast traffic flows but NO multicast. Opened several tickets with Meraki and they are completely clueless how to help.

Onward, I just need a solution to make this work, even if its purchasing SOMETHING to make it do what I need. I'd like to NOT have to start moving away from Meraki, but it's clear that our core is getting more complex and it doesn't seem to work for this type of environment.

I do seem to have an unused Aruba 5406Rzl2 here (long story), but I have ZERO HPE/Aruba experience, and I don't think it's on a support plan, so can't just call and have them help either. So not even sure it has the right software licenses (IP Services or whatever they call it in Aruba land) to do L3/PIM



No comments:

Post a Comment