Thursday, October 11, 2018

Understanding Juniper VCF

I'm looking at building a Juniper VCF. I'm trying to understand about what components are required and what I can do vs what I can't do. Our network is 50 or so ESX hosts that need 10gbps. Then a large set of devices of 100 to 200 devices that need only 1gbps. These are spread across 5 racks.

I have 2 x QFX5100-48S already that were purchased for another project. I want to use these as Spines. Then purchase another 2 x QFX5100-48S to use as leafs. Then I'd purchase 10 x EX4300-48T to use as leafs, top of rack (2 per rack). So I want to connect half the ESX hosts to the 2 x QFX5100-48S leaf switches and the other half, connected to the 2 x QFX5100-48S spine switches. We are honestly pushing 50 - 100mbps average and 2gbps at some of the peaks through most of this gear. It's not heavily used.

These switches would all be used solely for Layer 2. They would not be doing any Layer 3.

We then have a few SRXs that are connected to the QFX5100-48S spine switches that I plan on using for Layer 3 routing.

Firstly, do I even need a VCF? I'm mostly looking at getting the single point of configuration out of it.

Secondly, can I plug ESX hosts into the Spine switches?

Thirdly, how do EX4300s connect into the Spine switches? This diagram (https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/reference/specifications/cable-ex4300-virtual-chassis-fabric.html) shows the spine connections going into the back of the switch, but another article I found, said the QSFP ports are used for spine. Which is it?



No comments:

Post a Comment