Thursday, October 11, 2018

newbie here. VPN and internet sharing troubleshooting. Servers are able to see both router and gateway. I just want the servers to see the gateway.

So before, I guess my modem+router hybrid did this automatically, but now I have a new modem with a new router that are separate and it does not set up the same. Before, when I pinged to servers, they would only see my data coming the VPN, but now when I ping to servers, they can see the total distance my data goes. so right now I get 110 ping going from my home to London to a London server even though I have a london IP address. Before I would generally get 5-20 ping.

P.s. I know that my ping isn't getting lowered. I use vpns to troubleshoot other things and this is interfering with that + I feel like my data isn't being hidden from my ISP.

I googled around and it said something about setting your router to an access point. I do not know is this is the solution for me because I use that router for other things other than being an access point.

Right now my setup is: modem (netgear CM500)-> router (netgear WNDR4300) -> multiple LAN connections, 2 Wireless connections. 1 of the wireless connections is a computer on Windows 7. My VPN is setup on that computer then I use the built in internet sharing through an ethernet cable to other devices to give them internet access on the VPN (these devices do not support any VPN software). VPN location's change constantly and I do not have the ability to modify any VPN.

Is there any way to make it so servers only see my data/packets coming from the VPN without getting any new equipment? I'll take solutions with extra equipment, but again would prefer not to.



No comments:

Post a Comment