Friday, October 12, 2018

Any good way to lab VXLAN + EVPN?

It’s become apparent to me, that I don’t have the opportunity to get my hands on VXLAN + EVPN in production. The people I work with aren’t interested in trying it out, even though all our gear supports it. We’re a smaller shop, so there’s no spares in stock that I use to lab it up.

I’ve read about VXLAN/EVPN, I’ve watched videos on it. I understand what it is, why it’s used, and how it works. But I have never configured it, and never gotten to monitor it in an operational capacity. I’m more of a hands-on learner. I need this exposure.

Enterprise gear that can do VXLAN/EVPN would cost a fortune, even bargain bin used stuff most likely. So it seems like buying hardware is out of the question.

But I’ve heard it may not be easy to lab this in a virtual environment. Is there any way to lab this in GNS3? I know GNS3 doesn’t tend to play well with layer 2, and you have to configure stuff all funky to get SVI’s.

Maybe something with Linux/VM’s? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!



No comments:

Post a Comment