Thursday, August 30, 2018

Using LAGs between switches with multiple LANs

Greetings Internet brain. Pardon the ignorance, but I need some advice from someone who understands this stuff better than I do - breaking this stuff down in layman's terms would be helpful to me.

I am trying to recreate a network with several managed switches that use multiple VLANs. I need VLAN 1 on Switch 1 to communicate with VLAN 1 on Switch 2 and VLAN 2 on Switch 1 to communicate with VLAN 2 on Switch 2 and so on. I have the impression that connecting VLAN 1 and VLAN 2 between the two switches will not work because of a network loop and that my best option is to use a LAG. I can tell my predecessor used a LAG for this purpose because Switch 1 is still configured from the previous time this network was created, however I don't have a proper understanding of how a LAG works or how to configure one.

I assume LAG Port 1 on Switch 1 (1-1) connects to LAG Port 1 on Switch 2 (2-1) and 1-2 to 2-2. I can tell from the existing configuration that 1-1 and 1-2 were both on VLAN 3. Does that mean 2-1 and 2-2 need to be on VLAN 3? If so, how does VLAN 1 and 2 travel between the switches? I feel like I'm not fully understanding the concept of a LAG. Do I need to assign VLANs to the LAG (if so, how?)? Does it matter which VLAN the LAG ports are assigned to? A lesser concern is making sure that only VLAN 3 can access the switches.

Switch 1 is Netgear GS2728TPP and Switch 2 is Netgear GS108T. I'd love to learn more about the concepts behind making this work beyond just finding a solution.

Thank you so much. I hope there's someone out there who's enthusiastic about sharing this knowledge.



No comments:

Post a Comment