Thursday, August 30, 2018

Building new OPNsense router - just remembered my ASA is too slow

So I just remembered that my ASA 5506-X caps at 500Mb and Spectrum is installing my 940x35 on Saturday, which will make my Plex streaming WAY better than the current 200x10 allows. Of course, I'd love to get this up before Saturday morning, but there won't be enough time, so I can at least take my time and plan it out without worrying about a deadline.

I'm planning on using a spare R210ii with a Pentium G850, 20GB RAM and a spare 256GB SSD (overkill, I know, but it's spare and sitting in storage). I'm planning on installing OPNsense, but I've never used it before. I have a background in Cisco and VMWare, so I don't think it's going to confuse me too much. Is the G850 strong enough? The clock speed is far above the "Recommended" requirements, but those requirements also only state "multi-core CPU" and don't say if dual core is good or if a quad core is better.

My L3 core switch just routes everything up to my ASA now, and I haven't found any threads detailing any actual problems with OPNsense, but coming from ASA-land are there any terminology "gotchas" that I need to keep in mind when I'm setting it up?



No comments:

Post a Comment