Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Creating a Host only Network VM to VM help

So my first VM is a kali linux OS, within that VM, I downloaded VirtualBox and created another VM (OWASP_Broken_Web_Apps_VM.ova -> it's a type of webserver OS environment which is purposefully vulnerable) ... so I'm trying to create a Host only network between those two.

First off can a host only network be created this way? Or do I have to actually create a guest addition in the host Kali Linux VM?

But to continue with problem..

For the initial Host only network setup, I opened a Host only Adapter on the Kali Linux VM and set a static ip to 192.168.56.1, with the mask 255.255.255.0 and I opened a Host only Adapter in the OWASP VM and set the static ip to 192.168.56.101 with mask 255.255.255.0

From the host kali linux OS, whenever I ping the OWASP VM all the packets are shown to being transmitted perfectly but when I enter the command ifconfig the eth0 adapter for the kali linux OS is not showing any TX packets being sent out, only the loopback adapter TX packets are going up.

Now from the OWASP VM, whenever I ping the host kali linux VM I get a Destination Host Unreachable, and when I enter the ifconfig command from the OWASP VM the eth0 TX and the loopback TX packets of the OWASP VM are going up.....also when I enter the ifconfig command on the host kali linux VM I can see the vboxnet0 adapter (which is linked to the OWASP VM) TX packets going up.

So I believe there is some type of connection between the two I just don't know to what degree and how to fix it so they both can send and receive packets from one another. Thank you.



No comments:

Post a Comment