Friday, August 31, 2018

Aruba 3810M switch will not give directly connected Mitel Phones IP Addresses

I have one location where I am replacing several Cisco switches with several HP devices. I have one Layer3 device that is an HP/Aruba 3810M and three Layer2 Devices that are HP/Aruba 2530 - 24G 's. These switches are in a hub and spoke configuration and all of the 2530's are directly downstream of the 3810. Our Mitel phones that are connected to the downstream 2530's are pulling IP addresses and functioning properly meaning that I can make and receive any internal or external phone calls. On the 3810, however, the mitel phones are failing to receive an IP address. I found this reply on a different web form:

If your switch supports vlans, and can be configured with a tagged and untagged vlan on an interface, it should be compatible with most or all IP Phones.

Typically, the phone will either be configured manually to use the voice vlan, or will recieve (initially on the data vlan) an option from DHCP that will let it know what vlan it should start tagging things with. Once it starts tagging things with the voice vlan, the switch only needs to support vlan tagging.

One gotcha that I've found with Aruba switches is that by default when you enable LLDP the lldp tlv "network_policy" will be enabled. With that TLV enabled, and a "voice" vlan configured, a lot of phones will ignore what they get from DHCP in favor of what they get from there. That works fine, if you have configured it to hand out what they need, but if you prefer to use dhcp, make sure and use "no lldp config <port-range> medTlvEnable network_policy" (assuming that doesn't interfere with anything else)

but I am uncertain if this is my issue. I know LLDP to some degree is enabled by default on HP Switches, but I have not enabled anything beyond the default. I am not able to test this out immediately, but I am hoping for a little more feedback first, anyway. Other things I have considered is adding an IP Helper address, but if that were the problem, I would think the down stream layer2 switches would exhibit the problem as well.

Any help is greatly appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment