Sunday, May 13, 2018

Anyone used VXLAN outside of the data centre?

Every time I read up on VXLAN it always mentions data centres and nothing outside of it.

I just got a piece of work to do as part of a bigger project to provide layer 2 connectivity between two locations. At first I was looking at L2TPv3 but have had a number of issues setting it up, I then decided to use VXLAN since it's a simple point to point link and it works a treat! All mac-addresses learned, can reach other layer 3 networks etc. So it got me thinking there's more use case scenarios for VXLAN out side of the data centre.

To give you an idea of the set up I have done and tested.

Using Huawei AR routers, both routers connect to the MPLS network.

Created a VXLAN tunnel with IPSec for security between the routers and connected them to the access switches.

Do some pings between the sites and all is good.

Has anyone else done similar setups and if so any problems you've come across?



No comments:

Post a Comment