Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Advice on Network Upgrade

Hey everyone,

I'm having to redesign our topology and could really use your advice on a few areas. Currently our network is flat with no vlans, it spans 4 buildings which are physically close and connected with fiber, we have about 850 users with a little over 1k devices.

So my first question is would you do vlans based on locations or category? I see the value in each but I'd love to know if one performs better over the other.

My second question is which brand to go with when we buy new equipment. Right now we are looking at Aruba or Ubiquiti. We don't have a huge budget and the Aruba would seriously be pushing the limit and would need to be purchased over 2 years, while we could get all the Ubiquiti switches in one go.

And lastly, would all the switches need to be layer 3 for interVLAN routing?

Sorry if these questions are a little lower level than the norm here. I've tried hiring a consultant to help set everything up right, but my request was denied.



No comments:

Post a Comment