Monday, February 19, 2018

Sniffing pings with DF-bit set + MTU size above limit

Hello everyone! For testing purpose I wanted to sniff my icmp traffic. I'm using a windows os and using the ping command for this. As an example:

ping -f -l 1400 8.8.8.8

This works well and I also see traffic in Wireshark (echo request/echo reply). But when I change the command to:

ping -f -l 2000 8.8.8.8 (yes, it's intended to get an icmp error message because of mtu size too big)

The error message "Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set." is correct. But I can't even see an echo request. The os seems to block it. It even doesn't try to send the ping. What's wrong? Why I cant see any traffic when mtu size is too big? In theory the router should send an error message to the client?



No comments:

Post a Comment