Monday, February 19, 2018

OSI model question

As per my understanding of the OSI model, there are two things happening. One each layers comes after the other and each layer adds something to the layer above it. Second, as implied from the first point, layers exist in order. Data doesn’t suddenly jump to layer 4 after layer 2, for example. Now my question is about routers, switches and physical wire. Routers work at layer 3, when application/presentation/session layer pass data onto layer 3 (router)... but hold on router is outside the PC and data hasn’t reached the physical layer (Ethernet cable). So it seems like data skipped few layers and went straight to Layer 1 and then layers 3 or 2(switch) come after that… They don’t seem in order since layer 3 should come before 1 not after.

I hope I’m able to phrase my question right. I know about encapsulation process so it all has to happen in order. And what about when data move from your NIC to the router.. does it go through all 7 layers or all the seven layer stuff happens between NIC and your wireless router.



No comments:

Post a Comment