Monday, February 19, 2018

How do I combat bufferbloat?

So, mainly in online video games, but other areas of internet, I've been noticing these micro stutters.

Long story short, after testing my PC to make sure my local hardware isn't the problem, I figured out that the problem is my internet - more precisely bufferbloat. According to dslreports.com, my D/L bufferbloat is an "okay" 150ms or so in average, but my upload one is 400-1000 ms. I am pretty sure this is exactly what causes my micro stutters.

Tech from ISP came, concluded that everything is okay on their end, but agreed that my described problems are possible, and that "shoddy infrastructure" is probably the problem, but it's not viable to tackle it. I also sometimes got packet loss, but eh, I guess it happens occasionally? Around 2-5% packet loss at times.

My attempts:

  1. I tried limiting my D/L and U/L speeds to 80% of max, and upon testing again, my bufferbloat got better, from D to B rating. But I only managed to do so with Netlimiter which is a trial based software, and my trial ended.

  2. My router does not support QoS options, and changing my router is impossible ATM.

  3. I've read about MTU-but I am not so sure I understand it that much. I am also not sure that changing it from default 1500 to 1491 (per this guide http://www.dslreports.com/faq/5793) would change the situation, nor if it would mitigate bufferbloat.

I would really appreciate help, these micro stutters are really annoying.



No comments:

Post a Comment