Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Can one machine address non-overlapping subnets?

Sorry for this noobish question, mods please let me know if this is inappropriate. Suppose I have two different subnets where all the machines involved have static IPs defined within each machine (i.e. not as reservations in a DHCP server). Devices on both subnets are physically connected to a single unmanaged switch.

Subnet A: 192.168.0.x, 255.255.255.0

Subnet B: 192.168.1.x, 255.255.255.0

Now suppose I have an isolated workstation, call it workstation C, which I want to use to be able to monitor devices on either subnet, but still keep the subnets separate. Could I achieve this by simply connecting workstation C to the switch and assigning it a static IP of 192.168.x.x with subnet mask 255.255.0.0?

Suppose I pinged a device on either subnet A or subnet B from workstation C. Intuitively, workstation C should be able to send a ping out on either subnet, since either subnet falls within workstation C's addressable range. However, I don't think devices on either subnet would be able to reply unless workstation C had either a 192.168.0.x (subnet A would be able to reply) or 192.168.1.x address (subnet B would be able to reply). I understand the best-practice for subnetting is to avoid overlapping subnets and set up routes between these subnets, but is my predicted behavior correct?



No comments:

Post a Comment