Saturday, August 21, 2021

Internet connection lost when using Windows SSL VPN

I usually access my university's VPN network with Forticlient VPN. Recently I used a laptop with no admin rights so I couldn't install Forticlient and I tried the build-in windows 10 VPN client. I had to install Forticlient from the store (no admin rights needed) to add SSL functionality and it worked and I could access my university's resources. The only problem is I can't access the internet. I can ping 8.8.8.8 for example but I can't ping any domain name. I am assuming it is DNS related but I can't figure what exactly is causing the problem.

I tried unchecking the 'Use default gateway on remote network' option in my IPv4 VPN networking settings.

I tried manually setting the DNS server to 8.8.8.8

I also tried setting a manual metrics for both the VPN network (lower metric value) and my WIFI network (higher metric value) with no luck.

I have been struggling for a while so any help is appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment