Saturday, August 21, 2021

Trying to segment traffic for staff vs public

Hi.

I've created a Netgear Switch/AP network at a local non-profit. I've got 1 public SSID that is from the default configuration. As of today, all traffic is on that SSID (across many AP's and the several switches).

Given COVID, the staff now wants to do in-person and remote events at the same time (Zoom sharing the in-person events). But when people come to in-person, they use the public Wifi and are significantly impacting the wifi traffic ... slowing things down to a crawl.

We can't turn off the public wifi on those event days... and I was hoping there was a way to create a second wifi network that has a better QoS. So I went down the path of creating a VLAN that had a QoS of 7 and a dedicated WifiSSID. But then I see that ports on the switch can only have one VLAN ID configured at a time... which would be fine if I wanted to have more AP's.

But I can't.

So... is there a way to get what I'm after given the hardware we have? I had hoped there was a way to simply create a WifiSSID that had a higher QoS. But that doesn't seem to be.

Help? Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment