Friday, July 2, 2021

What about Packetfence?

Hi there, I'm considering using Packetfence (a free NAC solution) on our network.

We tried Forescout few years ago but it's a little bit expensive.

So we plan to use the captive portal feature in first place to test the initial setup and a basic configuration (well I think it's a simple one), on a vxrail stack with the ZEN virtual appliance.

I faced some issues with the initial account configuration: you said 1/ passwords wasn't correctly set and I had to hard reset the root account in mariadb and reboot several times to get it clean.

2/ netplan was overwriting the interface configuration, took me a moment to find the trick and get a clean network configuration on the server

3/ to activate/deactivate services, there are switch buttons which act weirdly when you click on it (turning black and nothing happen). Plus, some services (pf-Ha-portal) get stuck in deactivate state and the only way to make it work again, is a reboot...

So, I feel like this piece of software is quite fragile and I'm wondering if I should continue with it

Feel free to share, thank you



No comments:

Post a Comment