Saturday, July 3, 2021

VxLAN data plane learning on Cisco Cat-9300

I was looking at the configuration guide for Cisco Cat-9300 switch (Fuji 16.9.x release). I noticed that all the examples/configuration are for VxLAN BGP EVPN. Does any one know if data plane learning is supported on this platform?

In absence of anything in the configuration guide, I went ahead and tried it on cat-9300 to see if this really works or not. It did NOT worked, my VNI's stay in the "down" state. Here is gist of the configuration.

I ensured the connectivity for underlay (both unicast and multicast)

This is lab setup so just one spine and two leafs. (all three cat-9300 with DNA advantage license)

- Stitched VLAN and VNI through following config

vlan configuration 200

member vni 100200

- Define NVE interface

interface nve1

source-interface Loopback1

member vni 100200 mcast-group 239.0.0.200

With this I was hoping that when traffic sourced from a host in VLAN 200 should be able to reach the host on the second leaf switch but it did not.

leaf01#show nve vni

Interface VNI Multicast-group VNI state Mode VLAN cfg vrf

nve1 100200 239.0.0.202Down L2CP 202 CLI N/A

The above output shows that VNI are down and mode is L2CP. I am not sure why its picking mode L2CP, I want to experiment with data mode learning. Perhaps it is not supported or am I missing something? I have tested underlay unicast and multicast and it is working fine.



No comments:

Post a Comment