Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Home made wall mounts for Cisco Access Points

Hi all,

I have a hatred of vertically aligned wall mounted internal-model antenna AP's due to some issues we've had with the 5Ghz antenna pattern not going back into the wall into other rooms. The University I work for has a bunch like this; once upon a time they were AP's with stick antennas, mounted in hallways, and worked fine until they were due for replacement. Whoever ordered the replacements just got regular internal antenna model ones and slapped em up (wifi just works, amirite?).

Recabling to the ceiling is too expensive to get approved for the small benefit it provides, and here in Australia getting purpose-built brackets is difficult and expensive. So I've been working on how to keep the AP's mounted to the wall but oriented the correct way. I've dodgied up some brackets made from metal bookends - the ones I used are here: https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/j-burrows-metal-heavy-duty-bookends-195mm-black-jb87010bk

Basically I have just drilled M4 size holes through the normal mount holes of the Cisco universal bracket into the bookend, and used M4 screws and wingnuts to attach the bracket. A tip is to mount the Cisco bracket far enough forward that you can remove the AP without having to remove the bookend from the wall. I have photos but I can't figure out how to include them :)

Anyway, thought I'd post here in case someone else is having the same issue



No comments:

Post a Comment