Friday, July 23, 2021

Confused scared and overwhelmed with new position. Was a lead support engineer before new role is architect and I cannot figure out where to start. Please help me

I was lead network engineer in a small Healthcare company, now I have joined a big organization which has a global network presence as a Sr. architect. I was good at what I did got promoted quickly.I am too young though (28).led team of 2 other engineers and I trained them kept outages to minimum.

So I thought let me try to see what is out there and I applied for Sr. Engineer position in this big company .long story short recruiter called me told me that position bus filled but apply for architect so I did. Assumed I won't get it but wanted to see what type of questions they will ask.

Interview was easy for me to crack since I knew everything they asked but work seems to difficult. I interview for architect and got role of Sr. Architect.

I am not dumb but not smart as well. I am hardworking though. I can figure out stuff and find out errors and optimize stuff here and there. And worked closely with architects and infact many times told them they are not doing it right.

But here I Am overwhelmed and not sure where to start. It has been a week and I am going through documentation which makes sense but I cannot imagine me writing one or designing solution like that. Seriously worried if I will be able to handle it or not. People are very busy and there is no mentor.

They are using things like vxlans/evpn and teraform.Their LB and Firewall infrastructure is also very big and future work they are planning is also seems difficult which I am supposed to design (as a part of team)

I assume many of you might been through similar challenges guide me through your struggles please.

Tl;Dr: was lead engineer now sr.architect. scared and overwhelmed of new role many new technologies and don't know where to start.



No comments:

Post a Comment