Saturday, July 24, 2021

Layer 2 Tunnels Across A LAN

What's the "best" way to create a layer 2 tunnel across a campus type of network, consisting of various buildings connected with layer 3 routing.

I have an application that requires a few megs of bandwidth, but it must be VERY reliable. The application cannot know about the network that is traverses. I have three endpoints that must communicate with each other, but that could expand to 4 or 5 perhaps down the road. The layer 2 must be transparent to the application, but carried over the redundant layer 3 routed network. I cannot use dedicated fiber pairs, since this application must have redundant routes in case of a fiber cut. I do not need encryption as far as I know, but its possible that this could become a requirement if we expand it to some other remote sites.

How should I do this? What hardware would be good for this? A reasonable budget for this would be in the thousands of dollars.



No comments:

Post a Comment