Saturday, April 24, 2021

Juniper virtual router routing instance and L2 interfaces - Question.

OK, so I have a problem that I ran into at work late yesterday (Friday afternoon) for me and I got rather stuck on it, so I figured I'd turn to the hive mind here for some suggestions. I'm going to ask my colleagues on Monday morning, but it's bothering me enough that I wanted to post here.

Here's the situation: I have a set of SD-WAN appliances connected to my network. The uplinks on these appliances are trunk ports, with separate vlans for LAN access, a secure network, and Voice.

This is an all-juniper environment that these SD-WAN devices connect to.

From the switches that these SD-WAN devices connect to, the vlans go up to their respective distribution switch, where they're Q-in-Q tagged back to their EX9200 routers.

On the 9200s, there's a routing instance for LAN traffic, and also a routing instance for voice traffic. The LAN routing instance is a virtual-switch, while the Voice is a virtual router.

For all other vlans in the voice routing instance, the two 9200s are handling VRRP. However, the SD-WAN appliances should be handling VRRP for their Voice routing instance interfaces.

In a perfect world, I would have layer 2 interfaces from the 9200s, tagged through the distribution layer, terminating on the access layer, and the routing and VRRP for those interfaces handled by the SD-WAN appliances. But I'm not sure how to do this in a virtual router routing instance.



No comments:

Post a Comment