Saturday, January 9, 2021

Network Admin vs Network Engineer

I jumped right into a network admin position out of college in 2018. It was a blessing to land the position to be honest because I had zero experience whatsoever except for networking classes.

The pay is very nice (overtime included) and the benefits are too. It is a smaller enterprise company with a nice culture. The management is lenient on a lot of things, and they embrace new technology. I've made some nice friends and learned exponentially more than when I was in school taking network-focused classes.

Since I've been there, they funded all of my certifications entirely and gave me time to study on the clock. The downside is that I'm now hitting a plateau, and there isn't an open position higher up and won't be for another couple years they say, even though my boss has told me that he sees me as a future engineer based on my learning ability. My skills have sharpened immensely but I fear I will lose them if I'm not challenged to keep them sharp. I've been told that I have guaranteed job security with my current performance at the company and that covid stuff is nothing for me worry about with job cuts being popular nowadays.

Network admin'ing for an enterprise company is fun at first, but being a tier 3 ticket guy with not many cool projects on the side gets monotonous sometimes.. especially when there are engineers getting all of the cool new projects that I feel I could outperform.

Now after a small amount of job hunting and interviewing, I have been offered a Network Engineer job with a consulting company. This company works with bigger companies to help evolve their networks and troubleshoot any weird issues during a certain period of time after the evolution. I would be assigned one company at a time as a project, and move on to another once the project is finished. The position is also remote, so I wouldn't be bound to any location.

I'm facing a dilemma because, on one side, my heart is telling me that I'll be throwing away a secure, good paying job with decent co-workers. On the other hand, this is an opportunity to grow and learn. With the covid nonsense, job security is a huge deal I feel. But I'm also young and super motivated and want to take advantage of that while I can. The pay at this new position would be basically be a lateral step.

My question(s) to you guys:

In your experience, is which positions have you preferred as a networker? Admin or Engineer?

Is this too big of a risk to take given current world events? I know smooth seas never made a skilled sailor, but I've thought about this from many angles and am trying very hard to make a diligent decision.



No comments:

Post a Comment