Tuesday, December 22, 2020

New Cisco Switch for home network

Hello networking fellows!

so some days ago i realized that my Meraki MS with 8 ports only had 1 free port left and i came to the conclusion that i needed another switch for future upgrades and long-term port density in my network. The first L2 switch that came into my mind was C2960-CX (pure L2). It is small, relative cost effective, fanless and very power efficient. All aspects of a home switch which matter to me. C3560-CX is almost the same, but also has L3 features, which could come into play.

My company is a gold partner of Cisco and i know someone from the sales team who can get me Cisco stuff with a lot of discount (around 80%). So i kindly asked him if he could make me an offer for C3560CX-12TC-S (with IP Services). He replied that i should look into the newest Catalyst 1000er series before and reevaluate my decision. A quick google search showed me that C1000 Series is L2 only and therefor the successor of the C2960 series. A little bit better and newer.

My questions:
- If id stay with L2, then C1000 series would probably make more sense?
- Is C3560-CX maybe unnecessary for my network? I was mainly thinking about using routing between it and the Meraki MX67, but supposedly the MX only supports static routing. Other than that id maybe play around with VRFs, PBR and other stuff.
- Trivial question: C1000-8T-E-2G-L has an external power supply. For what reason?

Thank you companions!



No comments:

Post a Comment