Monday, December 21, 2020

New site

Hi guys,

I recently took on the whole IT role at a small/medium sized company (~60 users ~100 devices) and they want to set up a second location. I have zero cisco experience.

The first location is setup with a firewall managed by some other IT MSP, and we want to move away from these guys and run everything in house. I have no real formal network training but about 3 years in IT doing network stuff as well as everything else IT includes, I'm looking into doing my CCNA and getting some real certs to further my knowledge.

Would I be dumb to suggest cisco gear for this new location, and for the current location once we offboard the MSP and lose the rental fw they have installed? The catalyst 1000 stuff looks like it would be no problem to set up for me since the CLI isn't "required", but is it as secure if I don't use the cli? I'm not sure if I can do all the same stuff in the web GUI as I'd be able to do with CLI. I'm used to ubiquiti stuff so the second choice is to just toss in an edgerouter 4 and call it a day.

I'm by no means scared of CLI, I'm an avid linux admin with scripting knowledge etc, so I cant imagine that the cisco CLI is that crazy, I just don't want to have to learn on production hardware, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for your thoughts!



No comments:

Post a Comment