Thursday, October 1, 2020

Single User VPN Issue

A user has started complaining saying she's getting much slower download speeds through the VPN. Gets about 10Mbps normally but only 1.5Mbps when connected though our companies remote access VPN, everything seems slower when connected to VPN, always lagging etc on calls. Our company has a 200Mbps WAN link which barely ever reaches even 50% of its capacity, and 1Gbps LAN links that are also never anywhere near full capacity. Her VPN bandwidth is obviously reduced over our VPN right? because of the encryption added overhead on the packets? Does the VPN encryption really cause that much bandwidth to be lost? Ideally I'd like to do some calculations, I've never really thought about it before if I'm honest. When I'm at home without VPN I get 13-17Mbps download, and 5-6 Mbps upload, then with the VPN I am getting a lower 11Mbps download but same 5-6Mbps upload speeds. I don't know what else to tell the user other than to increase her home broadband speed.



No comments:

Post a Comment