Thursday, October 1, 2020

Passing WAN through VLAN. Help.

I have a home lab and a network rack. The house connects to the network rack switch which is a Dell power connect 5524p and also holds my modem. My server rack contains a Dell power connect 5548 stacked with the other 5524p using HDMI. It also contains my router which is running Pfsense.

Network rack: * Modem * Dell 5524p switch

Server Rack: * Pfsense Router * Dell 5548

I currently have the modem directly plugged into the 5524p with the port tagged to VLAN 900. On the 5548 I have the tagged VLAN going into the WAN on the router. This gives me a really clean setup only that only requires 3 cables between the rack and network rack power and 2 HDMI.

PROBLEM: While this setup is working I noticed my speed test is showing 20/20 mbps. So I hooked a cable up direct from modem to router and boom it's back to 200/20 mbps that I should be getting. I checked all the cables and switches it is all connecting at gigabit speeds. I ensured nothing else is on VLAN 900. I am at a loss as to why I am seeing this behavior. I also checked qos is disabled. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!



No comments:

Post a Comment