Friday, October 2, 2020

Just checking out about access and hybrid ports.

Back before I joined we put all our CPE on access ports. Problem is, now we want to push our management VLAN onto the CPE(which we control), but we can't. My idea is to reconfigure those access ports into hybrid ports. I am fairly certain into the procedure, I just want confirmation from some other heads as it is never nice when customers go offline.

On one end I have a Cisco switch, on the other there is a Mikrotik CPE.

The Cisco port is configured as follows:
description CustomerXY

sw mode access

sw access vlan 200

The Mikrotik port on the other end is just a simple wan ethernet port with a static IP address.

Now step 1 that I would do is put the hybrid port configuration on the Cisco while the port is still in access mode:

description CustomerXY

sw mode access

sw access vlan 200

sw trunk encapsulation dot1q

sw trunk native vlan 200

sw trunk allowed vlan 200,420

Step 2 would be to turn the port into a hybrid trunk port and keep my fingers crossed it does not disconnect:

description CustomerXY

sw mode trunk

sw access vlan 200

sw trunk encapsulation dot1q

sw trunk native vlan 200

sw trunk allowed vlan 200,400

Step 3 if it does not disconnect and I am not in brown alert mode would be to just add the vlan subinterface on the Mikrotik side. The Mikrotiks from what I have read are clever enough to automatically do a hybrid port once put in a trunk.



No comments:

Post a Comment