Monday, August 17, 2020

Connecting to routers not in the same subnet

Can't believe I'm even having this conversation but this consultant has some sort of solution to a complex problem we have and it basically involves connecting two devices (layer 3 switch and a firewall in reality) without them sharing any sort of common subnet and not having any other routing in between.

What he ended up doing in GNS3 to prove his point is putting R1 on 10.1.1.1/24 and R2 on 10.2.2.2/24 and putting a static route on each to talk to each other. Sure as shit he pinged R2 from R1. This is totally wrong and should not work and I blame GNS3 because in any event, he shut down the interface connecting to R1 on R2, yet R1 still said UP/UP.

I can't get through to this guy for whatever reason, does anyone have any sort of easy to understand documentation or response I can just send him so he gets it? The lab he quickly built I saw with my eyes and he didn't pull a fast one, but I assure him if he used two actual routers there's no way this would work. Still, does not believe me.



No comments:

Post a Comment