Thursday, February 20, 2020

Does a switch operating as a DHCP server need to be configured to a VLAN?

I am working on a project where we are removing a router that is currently acting as a DHCP server to a remote site for the company I am at. The router is ISP owned, so I am not privy to their configuration. We have juniper EX2200 switches at our remote sites, and though they have the capability of operating as dhcp servers, I cant seem to get them to actually assign an address to a host unless I assign the dhcp server to a vlan and put that port on that same vlan, which I am actively trying to avoid doing, as we are small enough that we currently have no vlans. The Juniper documentation online is no help, and I cant get a solid answer to this question. Is there a way to configure DHCP so that it will just hand IP addresses out switch-wide without getting vlans involved?



No comments:

Post a Comment