Thursday, February 20, 2020

Opinions on Meraki switches

Hey /r/networking I'm in the market for a pair of switches for a new data center deployment. My preference is Cisco but the company I work for has a pretty decent discount on Meraki gear so the boss is pushing me to look at their switches. I'm eyeing the MS250 & MS350 and both seem like they'd fit the bill and do what I need.

My requirements aren't super complex: -Layer 2 only, no layer 3 at the moment -Not running any routing protocols -10G uplink -1G RJ45 switchports -Option for redundant power supplies preferred

We currently use Meraki for Wifi deployments but I haven't worked much with their firewalls or switches. Meraki seems to be a bit polarizing, network guys seem to either love it or hate it. My impression is that Meraki makes good gear but there isn't much in terms of granular configuration options and the licensing structure makes it so you never truly own your hardware.

Can anyone who has worked with Meraki switches weigh in and let me know your experience/opinion.



No comments:

Post a Comment