Thursday, February 20, 2020

Random story of working at an ISP.

I work at a pretty big ISP as enterprise network support. Often I have to do a lot with IPv4, including just verifying whatever we have in the routing table for a customer.

I get a call from a huge ISP tech, asking to verify IPs because we have the modem there and assigned static IPs. But he has to put me on hold, to call another ISP who manges the router. Ok. So it'll be 3 techs on the phone, no biggie. Well ISP#3 has to call the MSP onsite to make IP changes...

The call is now as follows:

ISP 1 - modem/static ip (me)

ISP 2 - monitoring it all (originated this call)

ISP 3 -.owns the router

MSP - smarthands, works for ISP 3 onsite

So after all four of us are connected, we go over what I have allocated, and verify they used each usable IP as it's own CIDR address and so used IPs not meant for them. Right after the MSP starts putting in the correct IP addresses, ISP 2 goes, "ok sounds like you don't need me anymore, bye". I realised who was leaving the call a half second before, and then boom we all get disconnected.

No call back numbers, each of us lost in the giant machine we work for. Took like 20 minutes to get us all on. I was laughing for a solid 5 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment