Thursday, May 23, 2019

Help! Configuring VoIP VLAN in a medium-sized environment

Hey all,

I'm a new Systems Admin for an MSP (I'm basically doing everything from systems to network engineering for our customers) and I'm looking for some advice on configuring a VoIP VLAN for a (somewhat large to me) environment of ~100 VoIP phones.

An overview of their setup:

Main building - A SonicWall NSA at the edge doing DHCP for their Workstations on a 192.168.10.0/23 subnet on the X0 interface of the SW. The SW is also doing DHCP for their VoIP phones in the main building on a 10.10.10.0/24 subnet on the X3 interface of the SW (no VLANs configured, just two separate subnets). They're using a Linksys managed PoE switch for the phones in this building which is assigned a static IP in the 10.10.10.0 subnet. The workstations are using different switches in the 192.168.10.0 subnet. The workstations and phones have dedicated ethernet drops (no daisy-chaining).

They recently added a second building to their environment and are using a ubiquiti AirFiber (bridged) to get network access over to the second building. They have another Linksys managed PoE switch in the second building currently with a static IP on the 192.168.10.0 subnet. Both workstations and the VoIP phones are connected to this switch and then back to the AirFibers, which are getting DHCP IPs on the X0 interface of the SonicWall.

I apologize if this seems simple, but I'm not quite sure where to start. I don't want to cause any unnecessary problems for them, so I'm just looking for some general advice on how to go about this. I need to do the setup remotely (although they have an IT person on-site that can assist me if needed). I've configured auto voice VLANs in small environments, but this one is making me nervous. Also, I'm not sure if going the auto voice VLAN route is even appropriate for this situation.

I'd really appreciate any and all advice! Thanks!! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment