Thursday, May 23, 2019

PXE/TFTP troubleshooting

Hey guys, I need a hand. I've run up a Server 2019 VM on my Win10 workstation to act as an MDT/WDS server.

The problem is, I can't get physical machines to boot off it. They get their DHCP lease, it hangs for a while, then times out.

The WDS logs tell me the machines are connecting to the server, but they fail when they try and transfer boot files over TFTP - the error I'm seeing in the log is 1460.

If I network boot a second VM on my machine, connected to the same switch as the MDT VM, it works.

It's a flat network with DHCP running on a separate Windows SBS 2011 box. Other machines on the network can see the MDT server and access the deployment share.

I've tried restarting the server, setting DHCP options 66/67, installing WDS on a different server, setting TFTP maximum block size to 1024 and 512, enabling/disabling variable window extension, and I'm running out of ideas. PXE response is set to respond to everything, I've even disabled the firewall on the server.

The main router is a cyberroam (aka sophos), and I'm starting to wonder if something in there could be impacting things.

If I try and run a tftp get from the host PC as a test, wireshark tells me the server receives the request and starts responding, but then receives retry requests for the file, as if the responses aren't getting through to the host.

Can someone please help?



No comments:

Post a Comment