Friday, May 10, 2019

Cisco SD-WAN and flow based load balancing

Hey there. Quick question for you guys. I usually read the posts around SD-WAN in this sub. And one thing that kinda surprises me is that most people recommend Cisco SD-WAN / Viptela.

Yes they are around for some time, are one of the leaders and have a mature product.

But if I got that right their load balancing across the WAN links is still flow based? And if I’m not mistaken, this impacts major features such as failover times and also prevents the utilization of multiple WAN links for a single session and per packet link monitoring and bandwidth detection?

Doesn’t that mean that it is impossible to get MPLS-like quality across multiple cheap internet links with them?

Other vendors such as VeloCloud, Talari or Citrix all use packet based load balancing and monitoring.

Any thoughts? Maybe I’m simply overestimating the importance of packet based routing, but for me flow based sounds like a huge disadvantage?

Happy weekend



No comments:

Post a Comment