Saturday, March 2, 2019

Opinions needed on re-wiring a small office network

My current project is replacing my offices existing SOHO-grade network with proper business quality hardware. The existing network was built in two parts as the building was renovated to add more office space at some point. Currently there is a closet on the main floor containing our modem, router, switch, and a patch panel with all of the runs to the back half of the building. There's a second closet upstairs with a switch and a patch panel with runs for the front half of the building. There's a single gigabit uplink between them.

My gut is telling me that I'd rather have all the runs terminated in a one location along with all of the network hardware, but I'm having trouble coming up with a concrete reason WHY it would be better to pitch to management. I know that rewiring half of the building is not in the budget currently, so my proposed solution is to run 24 lines from the upstairs patch to the downstairs one. The cost to do that wouldn't be nearly as running brand new lines, but still a lot of cost if there's no real benefit.

The easier (and cheaper) option would be to keep the layout as it is and install a new switch in each closet. If I was doing that, I would either install a second uplink and LACP them, or look at replacing it with a 10gb uplink instead.

Any input/opinions would be appreciated!



No comments:

Post a Comment