Saturday, March 2, 2019

Office networking build help

Hello folks,

I will be starting my web development company soon and have just rented an office that I need to set up so myself and 3 other employees can optimally work. I have come to you today because I need help in designing my office network. I have talked with my ISP and will have a fiber optic cable running into my office and to the "server" rack, but from there on it's all me and I'm not a networking guy so I need your help (please).

I am thinking to start with a 9-15 U Wall mount cabinet to put a 16/24 port managed switch in it, a NAS and a super fast WiFi router on top. There will not be more then 4 workstations plus printer and security cameras DVR, a projector and idk maybe 2 other wired internet connections, so I should not need more then 16 ports, but just in case I will be growing in size I'm thinking to get a 24 port switch. So far seems easy (except I don't know what brands I should pick so if you could help me with a specific model name that would be great). The thing is that since we're doing a lot of web development I will most likely be needing to access the network remotely more then a couple times, so I'm wondering do I need a firewall? And how should I set up the network so I will have only one computer (let's say the one hosting a few web servers) be accessible from outside the network and not the personal workstations.

What do you think and do you know any good articles I could read on this topic? Thanks

Edit: I am in a little town in Romania, not USA



No comments:

Post a Comment