Thursday, January 17, 2019

Jack of all trades, but master of none. Why is there so much scope creep with my role at work?

Ok, longtime lurker here. Have some background:

I am in my early 30's and have been at my current job as a Network Admin for almost 2 years now. I got this job during my last semester of community college when I was working on finishing a Network Tech degree and a Programming Tech degree. Prior to my enrollment in community college, I worked as a music teacher and musician for many years. I studied music during my attempt at a bachelor degree in the mid 2000's. Throughout my life, I have always been interested in technology, web dev, programming, and networking to a lesser degree. I'm sharing this to let you know that I am new to the field but have always been an enthusiast.

To the meat of this post:

I was hired to fill a Network Admin role in a ~400 employee company with the understanding that I am very new to the IT professional world and would finish my CC degrees (I did btw, woot!) . As staff has turned-over since I began working here, my responsibilities have grown from networking/help desk to include administering the company websites, implementing a huge Service Desk Application (Ivanti/HEAT), and implementing a huge document management system (OnBase).

Folks, I am overwhelmed. Honestly, just the Network side of things involving maintenance, upgrades, implementing SD-WAN & WAN-OP, interfacing with our VOIP provider, automating fail-over, office remodels, company acquisition, etc. is enough to keep me more than busy. I'm overseeing the move/make-over of our websites from a crappy provider to a VPS setup, setting up dev environments to properly test content changes and upgrades, and troubleshooting issues with it as they arise. I am also stuck in Help Desk hell with password resets, answering calls about setting up email on smart phones, and the like. To top it all off, I made the mistake of staying awake during a training meeting and was tasked with taking over the document management software implementation for the whole company. The list seems to go on forever when I think about the upcoming EOL for my network gear and VOIP contracts (never ever going to work with our current VOIP provider after this contract, so migrating to a new one in a year or two).

I'm not only here to complain though, I am also looking for advice. I am drowning in a sea of stress, and I just can't imagine that everyone hired as a Network Admin branches out into so many different and varied roles in a company. Am I being taken advantage of? I don't make more than $40k annually, yet I feel like I have a big role or at least a hand in almost everything going on around here (with 8 other IT employees). Even if I made double that, I don't know if it would be worth it.

Should I be looking for another job with a more narrow scope? Am I likely to run into this same problem at another company?

TL;DR: Was hired in Community College to fill a Network Admin role. The scope of my work has greatly exceeded the role I was hired for, and I wonder if this is typical in the IT world. Am I being taken advantage of?



No comments:

Post a Comment