Thursday, December 27, 2018

Fiber noob in Asia: suggestions to testing the quality of outsourced fiber runs?

Greetings!

I’m redoing the network setup for some non-profits in Asia. I have a few building I need to network together, and I’m trying to avoid wireless bridges at all costs.

Fiber is inexpensive to have installed here, but I want to be able to confirm the quality of the install somehow, and to be able to diagnose problems in the future.

I’ll be running the fiber directly into fiber modules on Unifi switches, so avoiding media converters at all costs. Is throughout tests enough?

Or is there some “entry” level fiber testing equipment that I’d actually be able to use in self diagnosing an issue? I know fiber can be complicated, so I’m not asking for the equivalent of an MRI to do brain surgery, just a simple way to check if it’s the fiber that’s the problem.

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment