Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Transportation Layer Protocol question

Total beginner here, if this should be asked somewhere else let me know.

I understand UDP and TCP fairly well in theory. Been programming for years (mostly in python and SQL). I am trying to teach myself more about transportation layer protocols and how to make my own. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel and don't think I have a better way of doing it. I just learn better this way.

The part i'm missing is, how do these protocols run? are they services? code repositories? Every google search I perform just gives me tons of info on what TCP and UDP are but very little info on how to build my own.

Is it just as simple as writing some functions to handle the back and forth? Then having another program use those functions to do something meaningful? I've followed some tutorials to build a communication link between a server and client in PERL. Nothing fancy. I just used the package that I found in an online tutorial. Does the individual package contain the transport layer code? Or does the NAT card take care of that on some level?

Thanks for your patience in advance.



No comments:

Post a Comment