Wednesday, September 5, 2018

URGENT: Host randomly loses internet connection - DNS

Okay, I am at home. I work as a Field Tech and a client recently attempted a firewall change which failed. They currently have an ASA 5505 with VLANs segmenting Users/server/etc. This Cisco 5505-x is connected via Spectrum Modem to the internet. My boss attempted to upgrade them to a 5510, with a second one to act as a failover.

Anyway, a host on the network randomly gets disconnected. Yesterday, I was in the office. She was unable to connect to anything outside the network, able to ping the Default Gateway and even ping Google DNS Servers(4.2.2.2, 8.8.8.8). However, when she tried to ping google.com, it wouldn't resolve.

Here is where it gets complicated. I have tried various DNS servers, none of which translate anything. This users PC is in everyway identical to the PCs of other users in the office and who aren't experiencing any issues. It's something else.

On the Cisco firewall 5505, I have cleared the arp cache, and xlate table. Her MAC address is linked to her IP address. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Same as yesterday, cleared xlate table and arp cache, after reboot her PC was connected to the internet again. Not exactly sure what happened, and I am almost positive this incident will occur again.



No comments:

Post a Comment