Wednesday, September 19, 2018

SysAdmin needs help - Switches / Router

Hello everyone,

We have recently moved into a new office, and are rebuilding our system and network infrastructure. I have the system and server setup down, and everything is good. However, I am not so versed on the networking side of things.

Right now, we have one networking rack that has all of our drops patched into it, and only twenty of those connections live connected to a standard L2 Netgear 24 port switch, which gives the lines we are currently using internet.

We have two Ubiquiti Unifi 48 port Managed gigabit switches coming, as well as a Ubiquiti Edgerouter 8, to replace our nighthawk. I thought I would simply use these as L2 switches, for the most part. Just add drops from our patch panel and call it a day.

However, one of my other sys admin friends started talking about Hierarchical internetworking model, and layer core, distribution etc and he lost me. All of our devices will be connected to the same local network, and connected to our domain. Maybe we need a vlan for our wifi guest network, but other than that I don't see the need for any complications.

Is there anything I should know, best practices, do I need to make this complicated with vlans? Basically, I am not sure on the best layout to make this work.

Thank you, hopefully this sort of makes sense.



No comments:

Post a Comment