Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Ruckus Wireless with CloudPath

A previous engineer here purchased a bunch (150) of Ruckus R720 AP's, 2 SmartZone controllers, and cloud hosted CloudPath to replace a 10 year old Cisco wireless system. I am now going to be implementing this and I have some concerns about CloudPath. The AP's and controllers seem great to me but CloudPath doesn't seem like it's very intuitive for the end users. On the devices that we own and provide to our users it's no big deal but it seems like BYOD is going to be a problem. I have an Android phone, for me to connect to the wireless I connect to the onboarding SSID, it prompts me to sign in to the network which is fine. I click the sign in notification and login and get the prompt that I have to download their app to configure the network. This seems like users are going to question why the have to download an app but aside from that, I click the link and get an error that says the URL cannot be opened. According to what I have seen from Ruckus, this is a problem with Android web view and not on their end and they cannot fix it. So I have to close out of everything, open chrome and let it redirect me to the sign in page and from there I can download the app from the play store and let it configure the network for me. The process is even more complicated on a chromebook. Does anyone have any experience with this and did it cause you and your users a ton of headache? Seems like we are going to get a lot of calls from people trying to get their personal devices on the network. Is there any real benefit in using CloudPath instead of using a simple radius server and have users login with their AD credentials? The other thing that bothers me is that the cloud hosted version of CloudPath can't send logs to my Palo Alto firewall so I won't have any user-ID information in the firewall for wireless clients.



No comments:

Post a Comment