Wednesday, September 12, 2018

MPLS migration: what's about EVPN ?

Hi,

We plan to migrate a quite old MAN based on Cisco C6500/Sup720 chassis (around 20). Today, our chassis act as PE and CPE (from each chassis, we have dozen of L2 connexion to our sites; chassis acts as default gateway for the sites). Our chassis migration should be an opportunity for us to add new services, mainly L2VPN.

I see today 2 options for L2VPN: - VPLS, which is quite old, but why not - EVPN with MPLS on data plane.

My concern is the migration, there are 2 scenarios: 1) The best way for us would be to be able to change chassis one by one. 2) The worst way would be to have to construct a parallel network to the existing (so, problems with fibers and rooms for chassis) with "temporary" interconnection between old and new design.

I'm not really confident with the VPNL or EVPN MPLS protocols: I imagine VPLS would to follow scenario #1, but I have a doubt with EVPN-MPLS (I expect scenario #1 is possible as it is based on MPLS/LDP, but not sure).

A additional question: would EVPN PBB or EVPN VXLAN give us more advantages than EVPN MPLS?

Thanks for your answers



No comments:

Post a Comment