Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Setting up a secondary server location/failsafe server [help]

Hi All,

I do not have a networking background but I was tasked by my manager to help find a solution to our companys problem. I have done some research and found something called a failover server setup but I am not sure this works in my case.

I currently work in a firm where they operate in 2 physical office locations, but Office A is only connecting to Office B's servers(4 individual servers setup for different usages, mail, data, client data, and company finance records) Our older networking person is a little too old, so he doesn't know any of the current tech in the industry. And our firm cannot afford cloud storage and cannot due to sensitive information.

But recently Office A has found out that Office B's power supply to the building has been in constant fluctuations(3rd world country) so Office A would like to set up the exact server setup in a third location(Location C) off-site where Office A would connect to Office B most of the time but shift over to Office C if the connection broke.

So the question I have is, are there any software we can install onto our current servers(Office B), I believe some are linux based and some windows based, that will synchronize Office B to Office C's servers 24/7, then we setup a failover server at which location?

It is important for the information to be identical at Office B and C and synchronized. The data in Office B's servers are accessed frequently and changed/edited frequently during the day by both Office A and Office B's workers. Office C will have no access, it is just off-site for Office A's use as a failsafe. The managers has said, they are willing to do an end of the day synchronization to Office C's location if that is the only solution for the failover to work properly.

Please help let me know what you guys believe to work best.



No comments:

Post a Comment