Friday, July 6, 2018

Real head-scratcher here folks

Ever since upgrading a wireless mesh at one of my sites I've been having very peculiar network issues. On the end of the wireless mesh I have a switch that intermittently stops responding. Every 60 seconds on the dot, the management IP address becomes unreachable for exactly 48 seconds on a continuous cycle. I know that the wireless mesh is staying up, because when I run a constant ping to a PC on the other side of the switch I never lose connectivity. Even more interesting is the fact that if I run a constant ping from the switch having issues over the wireless mesh, it never goes down, almost as if the ICMP traffic is keeping it alive somehow. I have a TAC case open right now, but wanted to throw it out to you swell folks to see if anyone has seen anything similar before.

network diagram

(Unsuccessful) Troubleshooting steps taken:

  • Verified proper VLAN tagging between switches and APs
  • Rebooted switch
  • Upgraded to latest stable release of firmware
  • Disabled STP
  • Put layer 3 address on the same VLAN that the PC is on (the one that never drops packets) to see if the same thing happens.


No comments:

Post a Comment