Friday, July 6, 2018

How to get more server/Windows experience when your job has nothing to do with it?

To keep it short, my company helps manage a larger corporations VPN network. What I do is strictly networking. They have their own in house people that do their servers, AD, all the system stuff.

Recently I've been looking at job postings and more than 70% of "Network engineer/administration" postings look like this:

Windows 2008-2016 and Microsoft Exchange 2007-2016

Active Directory, Group Policy Design and Implementation, and Server O.S Installations/Upgrades/Migration

VMware Virtualization

Storage design

Microsoft Server

(Side rant: why do they list that as network engineer?? Shouldn't a post like that be classified as systems engineer??? )

I understand that this stuff is related and very important to network engineers, but I have 0 experience with any of that. Not by choice though. I would love to be able to look at and learn all the systems stuff that is happening on my network, but I have 0 access to it. And when I asked my boss about it he said "don't worry about how it works, it's not important." (He's very much in the mindset of "if it's not our equipment it's not our problem.)

So I guess my question is, is just reading about that stuff in books and watching videos enough to B.S. my way through an interview if a question like that did come up? Or should I just say something along the lines of "while I don't have hands on experience with it, I have read about and know the justs of how it works."

(Obviously I'm not ready for a full blown network engineer position, but I've been at my current job for just over a year and know just as much about systems stuff as I did when I first started.)



No comments:

Post a Comment