Saturday, January 20, 2018

[noob] Question on ports and packet screening

Hello, sorry if I'm asking this in the wrong sub but I have a question on port forwarding security. I understand how port forwarding enables one computer/server on my network to be the dedicated server for a particular service. What I do not understand is where/when the packets are screened for malware. Let me give an example:

I have an apache web server. When you type my IP/Domain in a browser you send a packet to my ip at port 80 asking to download my website. What if however, you created a packet with some type of malware that could exploit that apache server and simply label the packet as a port 80 packet? Does apache make sure it is only communicating with "good" packets? How does it do that?

Bonus question: If I am forwarding 80 to my rpi and my rpi is off, is the port technically off too or is there still vulnerability in the network?

Thank you



No comments:

Post a Comment