Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Need a BGP guru to answer a config question.

We use an MPLS provider to supply backup links to many of our remote locations (primary is Internet VPN). Note that the provider does the MPLS magic - we simply connect our routers to their routers via a /30 link, and let BGP peer with their router. We and the provider use Cisco routers.

This works great, but there is one minor nit that is bugging me. On my routers, I only see BGP advertisements from the provider's router for two of my remote networks. I don't see the provider's routers advertising the other locations' networks.

I do see all my remote routers advertising their local network to the provider's local router. In the case that the Internet VPN goes down to a location, the provider's routers DO start advertising routes to affected location's subnet.

I assume that some of the provider's routers are configured to NOT advertise a route to my routers if my routers are advertising a better (shorter) route to the provider's router.

I'd like to have the provider change their config so that they are always advertising routes to my routers, even if my routers are advertising a better route to them.

I can't see the config on the provider's routers, so I can't compare the settings on them. What is the IOS magic incantation to accomplish this?

EDIT: include crappy ascii diagram

+-------------+ +-------------+ | CR1 | -------- (internet VPN) ------------- | CR2 | | 10.0.0.0/24 | | 10.0.1.0/24 | | | | | | 192.168.1.1 | | 192.168.2.1 | +-------------+ +-------------+ | | | | +-------------+ +-------------+ | 192.168.1.2 | | 192.168.2.2 | | | | | | PR1 | --(hop1)--(hop2)--(hopN)------------- | PR2 | +-------------+ +-------------+ 

The above diagram shows main site to one remote location. CR1 is my router and PR1 is the provider router at the mothership. CR2 is my router and PR2 is the provider router at Ultima Thule. In reality, there are multiple sites and subnets CR3/PR3, CR4/PR4, etc, but my ascii drawing skills can't handle that. The VPNs connect in a hub and spoke back to CR1, and the MPLS connect as a mesh.

In some cases, PR1 does not advertise a route to 10.0.1.0/24 to CR1, (presumably) because CR1 is advertising a better (one hop) route to PR1.

However, in other cases, PRx DOES advertise routes back to CRx, even though CRx is advertising a better route to PRx.



No comments:

Post a Comment